Sunday, July 20, 2008

Garden Journal

Inspired by David Carroll, my journaling of my vegetable garden will help me to be a keen observer and provide a record for future planning.
Today, July 20th, I wander into my garden to sit and reflect on what is happening around me. The tomatoes growing tall in a long row in the picture,to the far back left are reaching way above their provided supports with long branches reaching toward the sun they desperately seek.
To the right, in the back, are squash and corn planted as compainion plants. The corn will support the climbing squash vines. The large squash leaves will keep in the moisture and deter the corn weavel. The tree stump lined bed on the far right encloses a berry patch with basil and asparagras surrounding. The berries are ripening. Japanesse beetles are in competition. Just outside the fence is a row of cabage that set a boarder of large leaflets filled today with rainwater. Carrots, beets, onions and brocalli rab are reaching maturiry and look ready to harvest.
Inside the fence are the early crops, first planted and providing a continued supply of delicous greens - kale, collard greens, swiss chard, lettuce, and herbs. I have left gill over the ground, a weed, as a ground cover as I prefer the look and control over less desireable weeds. It's root system is shallow and easy to weed when it becomes too abundant. Out of site is a strawberry bed, peppers, green beans and potatoes. The peppers have fallen prey to slugs and their leaves are well eaten. My freind's experiment of a beer trap, has collected many slugs and the pepper leaves are once again full. The potatos are managing after their 'pruning'. An example of the many experiments of pruning, watering, and pest and fungus management that I have conducted and observed.

1 comment:

Lara said...

I am so impressed by the variety of vegetables (&fruit) in your garden! A lovely description that hopefully will be useful next year when you are planning the following garden. Journals can have many benefits including motivating us to REALLY look at something as you have here.